In August of 2020, Missouri voters approved an amendment to expand Medicaid in the state. In a unanimous decision, the Missouri Supreme Court reaffirmed the will of the people by ruling that the state has an obligation to expand Medicaid eligibility.
Though this is cause for celebration, there remains a tremendous amount of work to be done to ensure that those who are newly eligible are able to apply. Now that Medicaid has expanded in the state, an estimated 275,000 additional Missourians qualify for free or low-cost health insurance through the program, called MO HealthNet, but many don’t know that they may now be eligible.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT MISSOURI MEDICAID EXPANSION:
The rules have changed. Missouri Medicaid has expanded to cover more people. Now, more adults can get low-cost or free health insurance through Missouri Medicaid (called MO HealthNet).
WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
Eligibility for MO HealthNet depends on your income, age, health, and individual needs. You may be eligible if you are a(n):
- Parent or caretaker with a child (under age 19)
- Woman (age 19-55) with no health insurance
- Adult (age 19-64) without disabilities
- Woman (under age 65) with breast or cervical cancer
- Person with disabilities
- Blind or visually impaired adult
GET ENROLLMENT ASSISTANCE:
The following organizations are available to assist individuals with MO HealthNet enrollment:
- Budget and Financial Management Assistance (BFMA)
- Care Beyond the Boulevard
- Full Employment Council
- Health Care Collaborative of Rural Missouri
- Kansas City Medical Society
- KC CARE Health Center
- Northland Health Care Access
- Samuel U. Rodgers Health Center
- Swope Health
- University Health
- Urban League of Greater Kansas City
HOW TO APPLY:
- Apply through the online portal
- Apply by phone at 855-373-9994
- Complete an application (aplicación Español) on your computer
- Download & print application (aplicación Español)
You must submit the Supplemental Form (Forma Español) with your application if you:
- Are blind or disabled
- Get Social Security
- Have VA healthcare
Send your paper application and forms by email, mail, or fax to:
- Email: FSD.Documents@dss.mo.gov
- Family Support Division, 615 E 13th St, Kansas City, MO 64106
- Fax: 573-526-9400
WHEN WILL I GET COVERAGE?
The Family Support Division will process your application and any supporting documentation as soon as they receive it. This can take up to 45 days.
Once your application is processed, you will get a letter that lets you know if you are eligible for healthcare coverage or not. If you are approved, you will receive a MO HealthNet Identification Card and information explaining the type of services and coverage you have. You will need to follow the instructions in this letter for your coverage to begin.
To learn more about Missouri Medicaid Expansion, please visit: https://mydss.mo.gov/healthcare/apply